[DCRM-L] Example of 17th manuscript newsletter

Erin Blake erin.blake.folger at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 07:42:42 MST 2018

I'm really sorry I wasn't able to be at Midwinter this year. Can someone
fill the rest of us in on the manuscript serials discussion Deborah alluded
to? I don't suppose anyone recorded the meeting?

The Folger has at least 3,954 manuscript newsletters, all scanned and
described at the item level in an EAD finding aid for the "Newdigate family
collection of newsletters at:
https://findingaids.folger.edu/dfonewdigate.xml

Under the auspices of Sir Joseph Williamson (1633-1701), Secretary of State
and Keeper of the State Papers, and his Chief Clerk Henry Ball, a small
group of scribes produced approximately two hundred newsletters per week
which were dispatched on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. Newsletters
issued by the Secretary of State's office were principally delivered to
government agents, but were also made available to an exclusive list of
subscribers to which the Newdigates seem to have belonged.

There's a researcher this month going through all of them in the original,
so we're realllllly glad that it's possible to create Aeon requests by bulk
upload from a spreadsheet now.

Erin.

________

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Head of Collection Information Services  |  Folger
Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |
eblake at folger.edu  |  office tel. +1 202-675-0323