[DCRM-L] Example of 17th manuscript newsletter

Mon Feb 12 08:25:08 MST 2018

It'll be part of the meeting's minutes, and the conversation can be continued after we all get home. The context was Jane Gillis's report on creating an appendix to DCRM(S) for manuscript serials; we were batting around definitions and examples of manuscript serials. I mentioned that there were 17th-century manuscript newsletters that should qualify because they do have chronological designations, and posted an example so the company present could see what one looked like.

Deborah J. Leslie | Folger Shakespeare Library | djleslie at folger.edu |

From: DCRM-L [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Erin Blake
Sent: Monday, 12 February, 2018 07:43
To: DCRM Users' Group
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Example of 17th manuscript newsletter

I'm really sorry I wasn't able to be at Midwinter this year. Can someone fill the rest of us in on the manuscript serials discussion Deborah alluded to? I don't suppose anyone recorded the meeting?

The Folger has at least 3,954 manuscript newsletters, all scanned and described at the item level in an EAD finding aid for the "Newdigate family collection of newsletters at: https://findingaids.folger.edu/dfonewdigate.xml

Under the auspices of Sir Joseph Williamson (1633-1701), Secretary of State and Keeper of the State Papers, and his Chief Clerk Henry Ball, a small group of scribes produced approximately two hundred newsletters per week which were dispatched on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. Newsletters issued by the Secretary of State's office were principally delivered to government agents, but were also made available to an exclusive list of subscribers to which the Newdigates seem to have belonged.

There's a researcher this month going through all of them in the original, so we're realllllly glad that it's possible to create Aeon requests by bulk upload from a spreadsheet now.

Erin.

________

Erin C. Blake, Ph.D.  |  Head of Collection Information Services  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |  eblake at folger.edu<mailto:eblake at folger.edu>  |  office tel. +1 202-675-0323