[DCRM-L] Fwd: task force report on linking fields for maps -- LAST CALL FOR INPUT

Nancy Kandoian nancykandoian at nypl.org
Thu May 10 13:59:55 MDT 2018

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nancy Kandoian <nancykandoian at nypl.org>
Date: Thu, May 10, 2018 at 3:49 PM
Subject: task force report on linking fields for maps -- LAST CALL FOR INPUT
To: "Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship" <
MAPS-L at listserv.uga.edu>, magirt-rda at lists.ala.org, magirt at lists.ala.org,
DCRM Users' Group <dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu>
Cc: Iris Taylor <itaylor at loc.gov>, "Kiser, Tim" <tkiser at lib.msu.edu>,
Maggie <longmml88 at gmail.com>, "Hodge, Catherine" <catherine-hodge at uiowa.edu>

Greetings --

Please excuse the duplication of this message.

As the chair of a task force charged with figuring out the best way to use
MARC linking fields when cataloging maps that have been removed from
identifiable larger resources, I am soliciting, one last time, input from
librarians beyond the circle of usual suspects (map catalogers who come to
the Cataloging and Classification Committee meetings of MAGIRT -- the Map
and Geospatial Information Round Table of the American Library
Association).  At the Midwinter meeting of ALA in Denver, the task force
submitted the draft report attached below.  Also attached below is the task
force charge.  Each document includes the names of the task force members.

We are appealing for input, not only from those who *create* catalog
records for maps, but also from those who *use* catalog records for maps.

In catalog descriptions of maps removed from larger resources, beyond
researching and clearly conveying the information about the source of a
map, how should we most clearly and conveniently link to the record for the
parent resource?  Certain MARC fields
<https://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd76x78x.html> and elements were
introduced to display how resources are related to each other and to
provide links between the related resources.  We want to figure out how to
best use these fields for the purpose under discussion, and make an attempt
to apply them with some consistency.  We are focusing on the 773
<https://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd773.html> and 787
<https://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd787.html> fields.

Please send any input to me by noon eastern time on Friday, May 25th.

Thank you for considering this.

Nancy A. Kandoian
nancykandoian at nypl.org
Map Cataloger
The Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division, Room 117
Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
The New York Public Library
5th Avenue and 42nd Street
New York, New York 10018