[DCRM-L] recording numbered copies publicly

Moody, Honor M. honor_moody at harvard.edu
Fri Dec 13 13:38:08 MST 2019

I believe that there is some concern that we will be telling folks where the good stuff is, but I don't have all of the details yet (this came by way of someone who reports to me).

Mostly I wanted to ask the list just to be sure  that I wasn't making any assumptions about what "standard practice" is. That said, I may have failed to do my due diligence in pre-searching, as it turns out that the ACRL/RBMS Guidelines Regarding Security and Theft in Special Collections say, "In the case of books, use the catalog record to describe copy-specific characteristics (e.g., binding, marks of previous ownership, defects) and bibliographic information that helps to distinguish among editions, issues, and states. Maintain complete acquisitions records, including antiquarian catalog descriptions. Create machine-readable records for local public access and international bibliographic databases. Participate in bibliographic projects that record detailed bibliographic descriptions." So there's that.

I would still be interested in hearing from anyone who disputes this rationale, or has a more nuanced take.

Thank you to everyone who has replied so far.

Honor