[DCRM-L] Latinization of proper names

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Fri Sep 6 14:23:40 MDT 2019

Latin forms of names (or any other form) are added as references in the NAF *if* there is usage to justify the form. (Or for that matter one might be chosen as the preferred name if it is the most common form.)

Note: only nominative forms should be used as the authorized access point or for variant access points. If the usage found is in another case (accusative, ablative, etc.) it should be converted to nominative. So in the case below, Johannem Wesselium would be converted to Johannes Wesselius (and then further manipulated by inverting the form to "Wesselius, Johannes").

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Ancient Languages and Special Collections Cataloger
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801)422-5568