[DCRM-L] Alternating leaf counts in 12mo book

JOHN LANCASTER jjlancaster at me.com
Mon Sep 16 08:46:07 MDT 2019

The logic may hold for 12mo - but for many incunabula (and early 16th-century books), folios (and some quartos) are gathered in alternating units that often do start with the smaller number, and are sensibly recorded as ^8/10 or ^6/8/8, pace Bowers.  (There are several cases where Bod-Inc and GW collations appear to differ, but actually just start the compressed groups with a different quire.)

Does Bowers actually discuss the order of numbers?  He certainly gives examples of the usage, explaining it in one place (with acknowledgment to Pollard), but I don’t quickly find anywhere that he says the numbers should always be given with the higher number first.

And though it might be logical for this collation, what about A⁴ B⁸ C⁴ D⁸ E⁶ (or similar sequences)?

As Tanselle has pointed out in the discussion of odd superscripts (e.g., for 18mo in nines), the collation is not about the logic of the printer, but about the structure of the book itself.  And A-F^4/8 describes the structure more compactly than A^4 B-E^8/4  F^8.

John Lancaster