[DCRM-L] records for digitized material

Fri Aug 14 13:30:38 MDT 2020

At the Folger, we settled into only making 856 links to the record for the original when the original is the copy digitized. Even so, we make a note specifying which copy it is. See for example http://hamnet.folger.edu/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?BBID=197249

______________________________
Deborah J. Leslie, MA, MLS (she) | Folger Shakespeare Library | 201 East Capitol St., SE, Washington, DC 20003 | 202.675-0369 | djleslie at folger.edu | www.folger.edu

From: DCRM-L <dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu> On Behalf Of Lapka, Francis
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2020 14:33
To: 'dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu' <dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu>
Subject: [DCRM-L] records for digitized material

Hi all.

A Yale University Library task force has been charged to establish common practice for MARC records that reference digitized material. The scope ranges from books from general collections that have been digitized in full for inclusion in HathiTrust, to items from special collections that have been digitized (often partially) for inclusion in YUL's digital library.

One crux of discussion is whether or not to create a parallel record for each item in that latter category, to describe the digital resource. In current practice, YUL special collections do not do so. We instead add an 856_41 field (Version of resource) to the record for the analog item, to point to the digital library.

Does anyone know of recent literature or best practices that respond to this issue, in the context of special collections?

Francis

Francis Lapka
Senior Catalogue Librarian
Department of Rare Books and Manuscripts
Yale Center for British Art
203-432-9672  *  francis.lapka at yale.edu<mailto:francis.lapka at yale.edu>