[DCRM-L] Machine-press special collections

Christine DeZelar-Tiedman dezel002 at umn.edu
Tue Jul 7 06:30:09 MDT 2020

Probably around 90% of what I catalog at the University of Minnesota
Libraries is post-1831. We have a wide range of collections, so ranking in
quantity would be difficult, but here is a list of examples:

   - Artists' books (20th-21st century)
   - Self-published and print on demand monographs (Sherlock Holmes,
   autobiographies, LGBTQ)
   - Zines
   - Erotica (primarily LGBTQ), including periodicals and pulp novels
   - Publications of US immigrant communities (newspapers, periodicals,
   church histories)
   - Monographs and serials on computing history
   - 19th-21st century monographs (many mass-market) that we collect due to
   provenance or subject focus (African American literature, Sherlock Holmes,
   LGBTQ, Social Welfare)
   - Children's literature, including picture books, series fiction,
   periodicals, AV materials
   - Dime novels
   - Modern Greek literature

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 6:53 PM Deborah J. Leslie <DJLeslie at folger.edu>
wrote:

> Dear Rare Materials Catalogers:
>

> I've finally had a chance to watch Brenna Bychowski's Rare Book School
> virtual presentation on Superheroes and Shocking Affairs, or, Adventures
> in Cataloging Popular Literature
> <https://rarebookschool.org/rbs-online/superheroes-and-shocking-affairs-or-adventures-in-cataloging-popular-literature/>.
> Informative, entertaining, and very well done; I especially like the way
> Brenna incorporated general information on the nature of cataloging. Highly
> recommended!
>

> Brenna's presentation got me to wonder about the post-hand-press materials
> that cross the desk of rare materials/special collections catalogers. I
> invite DCRM-L readers to characterize the kinds of post-1830 material
> you're asked to catalog, and give a rough ranking of relative quantity?
>

> I can start (although since 1999 I've been cataloging pre-1831 materials
> almost exclusively):
>
>    - Little Blue Books
>    - Railroad companies' annual reports, timetables, and maps
>    - Sunbelt migration advertisements

> Deborah J. Leslie, MA, MLS (she/her) | Folger Shakespeare Library | 201
> East Capitol St., SE, Washington, DC 20003 | 202.675-0369 |
> djleslie at folger.edu | www.folger.edu

Christine DeZelar-Tiedman
Metadata and Emerging Technologies Librarian | University of Minnesota
Libraries
160 Wilson Library | 309 19th Ave. S. | Minneapolis, MN 55455
dezel002 at umn.edu | (612) 625-0381
she, her, hers