[DCRM-L] Update on problem with Connexion filter "Not internet" also excluding records for original materials that link to an electronic version of the resource

Erin Blake erin.blake.folger at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 14:16:40 MDT 2020

Here's an update on a problem discussed on DCRM-L back in November 2016,
with many thanks to Francis Lapka for re-surfacing the issue with Jay Weitz
of OCLC (now that a connection has been made thanks to the Bib Standards
Committee's role in creating "OCLC Member Merge" instructions for rare
materials). Francis, Jay, and I have discussed it back and forth by email,
and it has now been moved along to the people in charge of search indexes
and Connexion Client development.

*Background:* DCRM-L catalogers had assumed that selecting "Not Internet"
when searching for copy in Connexion would remove MARC records for digital
reproductions from the search results. But it turns out that limit
*also *filters
out MARC records for original materials when the record contains an 856
link to a *version *of the resource represented by the bibliographic
record. I reported this as a bug, but never heard anything back about a
fix.

*Short version:* this isn't a bug, it's a 'feature' but there *is *hope for
a solution.

*Why this isn't a bug:* The search indexes and limits inside the
"Keyword/Numeric Search" frame in Connexion are shared by Connexion and
WorldCat. Only the "Apply Language of Cataloging Limiter" (outside and
below that frame) is specific to Connexion. This means picking "Internet"
in the "Internet" drop-down means "I want to find things I can see online"
not "show me resources that I can *only *find online." As a result,
selecting "Not Internet" filters out MARC records for original materials
that include an 852 with 2nd indicator "1" (link to a *version *of the
resource being described, as opposed to link to the resource described in
the record). Even though the MARC record isn't for an electronic resource,
it can still be used to access an electronic resource.

*Work-around:* Use the "Command Line Search" at the top of the screen and
throw in " not mt:elc" to exclude records for electronic resources (even
with "Show more indexes" enabled in the upper right of the Keyword/Numeric
Search box, not all indexes are available, so it can only be done in the
command line. See
https://www.oclc.org/content/dam/support/worldcat/documentation/searching/refcard/searchworldcatquickreference.pdf
for
full details, and a walk down memory lane if your library experience goes
back to the days when we had to type in a super-complicated command line
search in order to get only the results we wanted, since GUIs didn't exist,
and we were charged per-search rather than a flat fee).

*Hope for a solution: *As those of you who attended the June 17th OCLC
Cataloging Community virtual session know, instead of moving forward with
replacing Connexion Client with Connexion Browser, "OCLC is in the process
of investing more into the Connexion client, making it even more useful for
future cataloging" [at that moment, the Chat window of the online meeting
instantly filled with a chorus of "Hooray!", "Yippee!", "Yay!", etc.]. OCLC
also said that the non-functional "Display using GLIMIR clustering"
check-box would go away in the next release of Connexion. There is some
hope that, for example, the real-estate currently taken up by the GLIMIR
checkbox could instead be used for a checkbox along the lines of "Only
display records where Fixed Field Form = blank" (that is, the record
describes "None of the following: microform, large print, braille, online,
direct electronic, regular print reproduction (e.g., a photocopy)").

Hope this description makes sense.... and keep your fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Erin.

Erin Blake, Ph.D.  |  Senior Cataloger  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |
201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |  eblake at folger.edu  |
www.folger.edu
<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/-t5RCjRgpBtArRXC7R7_2?domain=urldefense.com>