[DCRM-L] Machine-press special collections

Jeff Barton jpbarton at Princeton.EDU
Wed Jul 8 16:28:42 MDT 2020

I'd say that 85% of the items I've cataloged in the last year or two are pre-1830.   (In prior years, it was probably 75-25 and 50-50 pre-1830 vs. later, driven by which parts of collection were targets for cataloging, not primarily by new acquisitions.)

90% of these are children's books, or publishers' materials related to children's book publishing or marketing (advertising, catalogs, ephemera, etc.).

A breakdown, in very rough order of numbers:

  *   Fiction (for children, as are other groups below, unless noted)
  *   Poetry, verse, and songs
  *   ABCs and educational books (primers, etc.)
  *   History & biography (usually biographies of historical or 'exemplary' figures)
  *   Classical & Ancient History
  *   Natural history and other science (including plate books)
  *   Voyages, travels, and travelogues
  *   Toy books
  *   Chapbooks (or chapbook-like format)
  *   Drama (either adaptations of adult classics or written for children, often in a dialogue-format)
  *   Educational manuals and guides for teachers, tutors, mothers (aimed at adults, not children)
  *   Non-English language materials -- primarily European, Latin and some Greek   (a colleague catalogs Chinese, Japanese, and Korean books, about 10% of which are pre-1830, I'd say off-hand)
  *   Incunables and early 16th c. books
  *   Publisher's archives, wholesale catalogs, and advertising ephemera
  *   Objects and non-monographic materials (miniature libraries, cards, games...)
  *   Picture books for children (mid 19th c - early 20th c)
  *   Small press publications for children an artists' books
  *   Electronic resources (March-July as general priority for all PUL catalogers)