[DCRM-L] MARC / Bibframe

Joan Milligan jmilligan1 at udayton.edu
Wed Aug 18 07:37:38 MDT 2021

I think the confusion about the timeline comes from a conflation of two
events. One, the Library of Congress and PCC are writing policy statements
for the new RDA Toolkit and have said they "will not be implementing the
new Toolkit before July 2022,” giving the impression they are aiming for
implementation in the fall 2022. Two, the Library of Congress has said they
want their catalogers to be using Bibframe when they learn the new RDA.

This confused me because I heard this as PCC libraries should be ready to
implement both the new RDA and a version of Bibframe or Sinopia a year from
now, although I know that’s impossible for almost all of us.

Instead, it seems most PCC libraries must implement the new RDA Toolkit a
year or so from now in a MARC environment, even though it is going to be
confusing to do so.

Joan

Joan Milligan  *I*   Special Collections Cataloger * I*   University of
Dayton Libraries

[image: A button with "Hear my name" text for name playback in email
signature]