[DCRM-L] Folded tables

Mon Dec 6 09:34:25 MST 2021

Thinking in the bibliographic community has developed and been refined since ABC; not all of our definitions are still the same. I get that some users may not think of folded letterpress leaves as 'plates', which is why I usually like to make a note when any are present. (This may be a more recent development in my cataloging, come to think of it.) Most users (and some catalogers, alas) also don't understand that even a whole leaf consisting entirely of non-letterpress is also not a plate if it's integral with a gathering of letterpress, that is, on a sheet that went through both a common press and a rolling press.

I remember talking at length with Richard Noble and others about the idea of "out-of-formatness" in considering folded letterpress leaves when DCRM(B) was in development. If leaves are folded to make them fit in the text block, they are by necessity a different format. The concept of out-of-formatness may not be helpful, but the DCRM(B) editors wanted to be able to articulate a principle for our practices, even if the practices were already existing—as was the case of considering folded tables as plates).
______________________________
Deborah J. Leslie, MA, MLS | Senior Cataloger | Folger Shakespeare Library | 201 East Capitol St., SE, Washington, DC 20003 | djleslie at folger.edu<mailto:djleslie at folger.edu> | www.folger.edu<http://www.folger.edu> | Opinions her own

From: DCRM-L <dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu<mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu>> On Behalf Of Robert Steele
Sent: Monday, December 6, 2021 07:33
To: DCRM Users' Group <dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu<mailto:dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu>>
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Folded tables

Thanks, Deborah. That's what I have always done in the past, and it certainly simplifies cataloging. I guess I was overthinking.

Somehow, I have trouble thinking of gatherings printed on each side of each leaf in the normal way as "plates" except by definition, and I wonder if users of our records think of them as "plates." Cf. ABC of Book Collecting: "Properly, plates are whole-sheet illustrations, printed separately from the text ..." On the other hand, I can't think of any other convenient way to treat them.

(Bowers p. 242 ff "Folds inside the gathering" was what I was trying to follow, then I ran up against the problem that the inserted folds were in a different format from the rest of the text...)

Bob