[DCRM-L] Potential addition of $i to record source of title for the 245?

Erin Blake erin.blake.folger at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 14:55:19 MST 2021

What do people think about potentially authorization of $i to record the
"source of title" in the 245?

The idea came up over the weekend, when a friend and I were talking about
how we routinely use the 246$i "Introductory text" subfield to show "source
of title" for variant titles of graphic material, and she wondered about
advocating that $i be extended for use in the 245, not just the 246. This
came up in the context of balancing how a resource "describes itself" with
being culturally respectful when a transcribed title is disrespectful.

Here's a snippet from the Folger's OPAC as an example of how we use 246 for
'source of title' with prints:
[image: image.png]
Per DCRM(G) there's always a 500$a giving source of title, and per Folger
practice, we always include a 246 for the title from a standard reference
source, if applicable (shown here with the introductory text "Hollstein
title:" -- the record's 510 gives the full reference for Hollstein).

Catalogers know that the lack of square brackets in the 245 means it's a
transcribed title, but patrons sometimes don't. This is especially the case
with scholars accustomed to seeing the same prints in museums' catalogs,
where transcribed titles are not the norm.

*Cataloging Cultural Objects* (CCO) handles this with a "Title Type"
element, see p. 50: "for example, *repository title*, *inscribed
title*, *creator’s
title*, *descriptive title." *

Linking source of title to the 245 is also a concern when it comes to
future-proofing data for migration: even when there is a bracketed title,
its source is given in a free text 500$a, not in a structure that would let
us keep "title" and "title source" paired, the way they are in the 246.

Thoughts?

Erin.

Erin Blake, Ph.D.  |  Senior Cataloger  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |
201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |  eblake at folger.edu  |
www.folger.edu
<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/-t5RCjRgpBtArRXC7R7_2?domain=urldefense.com>