[DCRM-L] RDA Edition news + Using RDA extent terms for DCRM-G specific material designation terms

Glenn Wells gwellsrbcourse at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 16:58:54 MST 2021

Thank you Erin and Elizabeth for responding.

Erin, I take your point about there being a reason to deliberately limit
extent terms, it's definitely efficient and correct to use standard terms
to indicate extent. However, 'Extent' is primarily an element of
descriptive cataloguing. Consequently, most systems incorporate additional
and controlled ways of gathering alike materials into
lowest-common-denominator material type groups (MARC control fields,
thesauri etc.). Regardless, I mentioned RDA terms because RDA instructs
cataloguers to select a term from the list of Carrier Types or Carrier
Extent Units when recording extent (for a 'Structured Description
<https://access.rdatoolkit.org/en-US_ala-8754c7a9-c38c-3735-9cf9-865df717f81b/66040d3f-a52f-4fe5-b6af-eef753aec183>);
these terms are incorporated within the RDA vocabulary encoding scheme. I'd
argue that DCMR-G extent terms are too limited. For example, if you're
cataloguing a rare postcard, that's not photographic in nature, I can't see
a clear way of indicating the item-in-hand using the extent field or the
physical characteristics field when cataloguing to DCRM-G. The only option
appears to be to whack 'postcard format' at the end of the dimensions
field, the same can be said of posters; this seems a bit funky to me.

Elizabeth, thank you for taking the time to respond to me, it's great to
hear that work is continuing. I've been working with the BSR RDA MAP, which
is among the reasons I posted my question on the list.  At the moment, the
BSR RDA MAP points back to DCRM-G for rare materials for instructions on
recording extent. So, despite the fact that there appears a thorough
encoding scheme supporting the additional terms available when cataloguing
to RDA, the DCRM-G cataloguer is still directed back to the same 4-6 extent
terms.I think the more likely result of this continuing in an update to
DCRM-G is that catalogers will apply local exceptions to the standard, or
continue apply the last-resort options 'Item' and 'picture'. That said,
perhaps I'm just missing the point of the BSR-RDA-MAP and am imagining
scenarios that would not really apply 'rare' cataloguing (20th century
posters).

Thanks again,
Glenn