[DCRM-L] RDA Edition news + Using RDA extent terms for DCRM-G specific material designation terms

Erin Blake erin.blake.folger at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 08:51:26 MST 2021

Taking up the DCRM(G) part of Glen's question, I think that adding RDA
carrier types to the prescribed list in DCRM(G) 5B2.1 would be conflating
what the item-in-hand "is" (a graphic of some sort), which is the first
part of the statement, and what it is "on" (a carrier of some sort), which
is the second part of the statement.[Note: I'm not saying that this
distinction is a good thing, just that it's a thing.... It lets the user
know about how many pictures they'll get if they call up what's described
in the record; it does this at the expense of letting the repository add up
all the numbers in the 300$a to figure out how many shelves are needed].

The prescribed list of what the graphic "is" is deliberately short, to
ensure a lowest-common-denominator of terminology.

  *5B2.1.* Choose a term from the list below for the specific material
designation. If considered important, give further description in other
physical details (see 5C) and in the note area.

   - drawing(s)
   - painting(s)
   - photograph(s)
   - print(s)

Or, as a last resort

   - item(s)
   - picture(s)

RDA carrier terms can then be added to the statement. There are a couple of
ways to do that: by expanding the first element (e.g. "21 pictures in 2
volumes" or "ca. 10 drawings on 1 sheet", see 5B4), and by expanding the
"Other physical details" in the second element (see 5C, "Details recorded
in this element may include medium, primary and secondary supports,
photographic form (e.g., print, transparency), and color)".

Of course, that can lead to despair when you don't really know what you've
got, or how to count it pictorially.... that's where "ca." and "items" are
the last resort.

Erin.

Erin Blake, Ph.D.  |  Senior Cataloger  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |
201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |  eblake at folger.edu  |
www.folger.edu
<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/-t5RCjRgpBtArRXC7R7_2?domain=urldefense.com>