[DCRM-L] Tironian "et" revisited: not an ampersand

Wed Sep 22 13:55:13 MDT 2021

Counsel for the opposition reporting in.

I'm no expert, but here's some of the context surrounding the decision to transcribe a 'Tironian et' as an ampersand. As Erin mentions, a lot of people were mistaking a blackletter ampersand for a Tironian et. I consulted Paul Needham, incunabulist. Skipping to the end of our conversation, he said that he transcribes all sigla representing 'and' in whatever language as an ampersand. This approach to transcribing all sigla representing 'and' in print simplifies things and doesn't require that a cataloger know what Tironian notes are.

Almost all the opposition to this change came from folks in the manuscript community. This got me thinking "why."

  *   Tironian notes<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tironian_notes> were developed as a system of shorthand. Can you call a symbol a Tironian et if other notes from the system aren't also in use? I could argue that a 7-shaped symbol for 'and' is just a graphical variant of an ampersand, just as both long and short s's are graphical variants of the letter 's'.
  *   The widespread misidentification of Tironian et, even by highly experienced catalogers, argues for simplification of treatment in favor of consistency of meaning.
  *   Tironian notes are a manuscript tradition. DCRM(B), and for the moment DCRMR, concerns itself with printed text. I have limited experience with incunables myself, but haven't seen use of Tironian notes (not just the 'et') in use in print. I would be interested to be proved wrong.
  *   As a system of manuscript shorthand that doesn't generally apply to printed text, it should be a part of manuscript-specific instructions. I would further venture to argue that Tironian et's should only be considered such when they are used with other Tironian notes as part of a system of shorthand. Otherwise, it's just a siglum representing 'and' and the best representation of that is an ampersand.

______________________
Deborah J Leslie, M.A., M.L.S. | Senior Cataloger | Folger Shakespeare Library | 201 East Capitol Street, S.E. Washington, DC 20003 | djleslie at folger.edu<mailto:djleslie at folger.edu> | www.folger.edu<http://www.folger.edu/> | Opinions her own

From: DCRM-L <dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu> On Behalf Of Erin Blake
Sent: Tuesday, 21 September, 2021 12:24
To: DCRM Users' Group <dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu>
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Tironian "et" revisited: not an ampersand

Belatedly realized that there's a super-easy way to tell the difference between a Tironian sign "et" and an ampersand, I just didn't think to articulate it before: an ampersand extends above x-height, a Tironian sign et does not.

Erin.
Erin Blake, Ph.D.  |  Senior Cataloger  |  Folger Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |  eblake at folger.edu<mailto:eblake at folger.edu>  |  www.folger.edu<https://protect-us.mimecast.com/s/G6_BCzp4MAt37BLHXdW1D?domain=urldefense.com>   |  Pronouns: she/her/hers