[DCRM-L] Subdividing Genre Terms

Matthew C. Haugen mch2167 at columbia.edu
Tue Jan 11 15:07:34 MST 2022

We have stopped subdividing RBMS CV terms in most cases, and are working on
programmatically stripping existing subdivisions from CV terms in our local
records through Backstage. By exception, we are locally retaining the
subdivisions for some terms in the rbgenr thesaurus, specifically
Publishers/Booksellers advertisements/catalogs, due to long-standing
practice in some of our special collections.

As with the example of woodcuts that Robert mentioned, geographic and
chronological subdivisions for non-integral advertisements may not
correspond to the place and date of publication in 264 or elsewhere in the
record.  We could still record some of these places instead in 752s, since
the field is repeatable and not restricted to publication places.
Additional relationship information about the place can be recorded in $e
or $4 (for publication place, manufacture place, etc.) though I see that $3
(Materials specified) isn't defined for 752 (nor is $5, for when the place
recorded is item-specific). Defining those subfields could perhaps help
with parsing out places for the text, the binding, the advertisements on
the wrapper, etc.

I'm not sure offhand what the equivalent would be for the displaced
chronological subdivisions. Maybe 046? In that case, the field might need
some MARC revisions, too (e.g. to include $5 and a new first indicator
value for items, and possibly $i and/or $4 for relationship information).

Matthew

--
Matthew C. Haugen
Rare Book Cataloger | Columbia University Libraries