[DCRM-L] MAC proposals--solicitation of comments

Maria Oldal oldalm at themorgan.org
Tue Jun 21 11:39:00 MDT 2022

Dear Jacqueline,

See the Morgan Library & Museum's comments below. Apologies for the
last-minute contribution. Please let me know if I need to use a different
channel to submit our comments.

Thank you,

Maria Oldal
Manager of Collections Information and Library Systems
The Morgan Library & Museum
225 Madison Avenue
New York, NY 10016
Tel: 212-590-0382
Email: oldalm at themorgan.org

Response to MARC Discussion Paper No. 2022-DP09

The Morgan Library & Museum is very much interested in the direction of
this discussion as it has extensive provenance data in its bibliographic
records in the 561, 562, 655, and 700/710 fields. The Morgan will continue
cataloging along the lines of Option 1 because of current system display
limitations and because of the substantial investment of recording
provenance information in that structure.

The Morgan, however, is intrigued by exploring a more standardized
presentation of provenance information with an eye towards future
interoperability of data as outlined in Option 4, and offers the following
comments:

As a contributor to the Material Evidence in Incunabula (MEI) project, the
Morgan has experience in parsing free-text provenance information (recorded
in the 561 note field) into highly structured data. When detailed and
unambiguous information is available, parsing is easy and potentially
useful in a shared environment. The process becomes challenging when the
free-text provenance note expresses uncertainty, conjecture, variants,
summaries of external research, or other forms of expertizing that is the
raw material of further research. Structured information limits this in two
ways: 1. some information simply does not fit into it; 2. clear-cut
presentation of data confers a level of certainty that may have been
lacking in the free-text expression.

As repositories with large holdings that have extensive provenance
information move their data online, the online presentation supplants
information formerly presented in printed collection catalogs. Collection
management necessitates the availability of free-text provenance
information. Highly structured and authorized data elements facilitate
machine-interpretation of data. They, however, do not replace the
human-readable interpretive presentation of the same information. If the
MARC21 format reduces the presentation of provenance information to
structured data only, an alternate data repository/system is needed to
provide human-interpretable provenance information to the research
community.

Option 4 and its examples lack any reference to a continued presence of a
free-text provenance summary field. The Morgan suggests the exploration of
Option 4 combined with retaining the 561 provenance note.

Also, the proposed structure of 361 needs to incorporate the control
subfield $3 - Materials specified, which is defined in 561.

While the Morgan is ready to explore and potentially adopt the repetition
of provenance data in structured form in order to facilitate machine
interpretation of this data, it will continue to provide to the research
community a free-text provenance note in the 561 field in MARC21 or in a
designated place in a future data format.