[DCRM-L] Printers for archival book slips

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Wed May 11 11:07:47 MDT 2022

Printing little things is a problem.

We print our 3 x 4 ½ inch bookplates by attaching them to a regular 8 ½ x 11 sheet of paper and then running them through the printer. We've pre-marked the sheet of paper with a pencil outline to show where the plate needs to be in order for the printing to come out in the right place.

We attach the plate to the paper either using a piece of masking tape, which easily comes off after the paper goes through the printer, or by lightly moistening the gummed backing on the plate--we put a piece of scotch tape on the paper in the spot where the gumming will stick as it goes through the printer; it easily comes off after printing (we found this still leaves enough gumming on the plate to attach it to the book), and the sheet with the scotch tape can be reused.

It's a bit Rube Goldberg but it works.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
6728 Harold B. Lee Library