[DCRM-L] Fwd: Re: DACS and APPM

Noble, Richard Richard_Noble at brown.edu
Wed May 11 07:36:30 MDT 2005

"DA:CS" would be a perfect nuisance in the electronic environment, which
favors unambiguous (and intuitive) search strings. You have to search
for "dacs or 'da:cs'" (and in many systems add "or 'da cs'") to get at
it, and you have to know that going in. On the other hand, "DACS" is
also what one generally sees on the SAA website (e.g. in the titles of
their upcoming workshops), so we can hope it's a non-issue. I sure hope
so.*

More important than that is whether DACS, or whatever, will be made
available sooner than later via Cataloger's Desktop. The SAA site
contains only one reference to this possibility, in the minutes of the
Technical Subcommittee on Descriptive Standards at SAA annual last
August

http://www.archivists.org/saagroups/tsds/2004_tsds_minutes.pdf

"There are also tentative plans to publish an HTML and Cataloger's
Desktop CD-ROM version (although there are some licensing and royalty
issues to work out). ... DA:CS [alas] is in the process of being
approved by SAA Council; institutions are encouraged to use 'dacs'
[N.B.--this is how people will think of it] in the MARC 040 $e as soon
as they implement DA:CS (i.e. don't use 'appm')."

In the meantime, I'm inclined to stall on implementation until SAA get
their act together: this is something they should have anticipated and
dealt with long before they up and withdrew Hensen from CD, unless
they're simply trying to pump up sales of the print version. Do I share
this feeling with others in the "cataloging community"? (This is a
different case from that of the ACRL/RBMS thesauri, which were published
long before we became so dependent on online documentation, and also
involve technical issues, not just licensing and royalties.)

*Search results on the SAA website (11 May 2005): "dacs" - 23 documents;
"da cs" - nil; "da:cs" - 3 documents (TSDS agenda, minutes, and annual
report; thus you need to know about "da:cs" in order to find these key
documents, though it happens that the minutes are retrieved via "dacs"
because of reference to the 040 $e siglum)

RICHARD NOBLE : RARE BOOKS CATALOGER : JOHN HAY LIBRARY : BROWN
UNIVERSITY
PROVIDENCE, RI 02912 : 401-863-1187/FAX 863-2093 :
RICHARD_NOBLE at BROWN.EDU