[DCRM-L] Area 1 DCRM(B)

Mon Oct 9 15:38:35 MDT 2006

Thanks, Annie.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee
http://www.folger.edu/bsc/index.html
Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu || 202.675-0369 || http://www.folger.edu <http://www.folger.ed>

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Ann W. Copeland
Sent: 14 September 2006 16:21
To: DCRM Revision Group List
Subject: Re: [DCRM-L] Area 1 DCRM(B)

Additional comments on Area 1

My impression was that for this area, information taken from other than the title page would be put in a note, rather than transcribed in brackets. Please forgive me if I am wrong, or if the distinction was made between outside the title page and outside the publication. Or if we were just favoring notes over brackets, in which case these can all stand. The next three comments relate to this question.

1A2.1 General rule: "Enclose information taken from any other source in square brackets and indicate its source in a note." This seems to conflict with rules 1C1, 1D1 and 1E2 which instruct to transcribe information not on the title page in a note, giving the source - ie. no option to transcribe and bracket. Should the general rule stand?

1E2: If a statement of responsibility appears on a source other than the title page, or is taken from outside the publication, record the statement and its source in a note -
1E6: last sentence and example: If statements of responsibility appear in sources other than the title page, also transcribe them in the order that makes the most sense. example: El Fuero real de España / diligentemente hecho por el noble Rey don Alonso noveno ; glossado por Alonso Díaz de Montalvo ...
 -Do we mean transcribe in a note as they appear? Or transcribe in the statement of responsibility? If we mean the latter, it is contrary to 1E2. But if we do allow this, we should specify "transcribe in brackets" in the order that makes the most sense.

Another instance is 1F2.1, last sentence: Adding titles of works on different sources: If the publication has no collective title, and works additional to those named on the title page appear in the publication, whether or not on special added title pages, either transcribe the titles of such works according to the provisions of 1F1, and place them in square brackets, or give them in a note (see 7B16). ?[DJL]  I'll wait until we editors sort this out to make these changes ...

other possible changes:

1C1. second sentence "If an original title" - prefer "If the original title" - [DJL] Changed

1D4. I think the final reference should be to 1D2.3 rather than 1D2.[DJL]  Agreed. Changed.

 Thanks, Annie