[DCRM-L] Area 0 comments

Mon Oct 9 16:41:50 MDT 2006

Thanks, Eileen. More below.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee
http://www.folger.edu/bsc/index.html
Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu || 202.675-0369 || http://www.folger.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu [mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On
Behalf Of Eileen Smith
Sent: 20 September 2006 18:59
To: dcrm-l at lib.byu.edu
Subject: [DCRM-L] Area 0 comments

In addition to comments by Stephen and Nina, here's my two cents worth
of comments and a couple of questions.

In 0G1.1, footnote 5, 0G3.3, 0G7.2, and 0G8.2:
Is it really necessary to have such a lengthy reference when there is a
"see" note to an Appendix -- e.g., "see Appendix G. section G2"?
Consider simplifying this to, e.g., "see Appendix G2".
This would be consistent with 0A3 where it simply states "see Intro 9",
not "see Introduction, section 9". Also, in the text it doesn't say "see
Area 0, section 0G3.3", but simply "see 0G3.3". I believe the Appendix
"see" notes still would be clear in a more concise style.[DJL]  I agree.
Shortened the references to Appendix G.

"On source" and "Transcription" and "On title page" should be italicized
in the following sections:
0F2.1, 0G2.2, 0G2.3, 0G3.1, 0G3.3, 0G3.6, 0G3.7
"On title page" should be italicized in:
0G4.1 (Or should this also read: "On source"?)[DJL] All fixed

0A1: change AACR2 to AACR 2[DJL] Not changed-obsolete info in the
editorial checklist

0A3: change "may either be" to "either may be" (which then nicely
parallels the following clause "... or may be")[DJL] I dropt "either,"
which is misleading because it implies an institutions has to choose one
of two different approaches.
0A3: change AACR2 to AACR 2

0A4: change AACR2 to AACR 2

0C1.2: change "see 7B3" to "see 7B3.1"[DJL] Changed

0C2: delete periods from end of 'bullets', to correspond with practice
elsewhere (e.g., 0C3 and 0F1.1). (If you want to have punctuation there,
use a semi-colon -- or is this a style-sheet thing?)[DJL] To be treated
as part of the larger "bullet" issue

0G1.2: add "(see Appendix G2)" at end.
I realize that it refers to Appendix G2 in the middle of 0G1.1, but if
one is checking specifically about symbols and not diacritics, it's easy
to miss the 'see' note.[DJL]  This one requires more thought. The part
that is most pertinent for giving descriptions of symbols in square
brackets is in 7B9.2. I am wondering if these should be moved from area
7 to Appendix G; will check with the editors.

0G2: change AACR2 to AACR 2[DJL]  XXX

0G3.7: Consider moving '"Optional note: Clara ..." to the end of the
section, following "... note, if considered important" which is where it
fits as an example[DJL] I'm not so sure about this one. The main thing
it's illustrating is that an underscore in the source is transcribed
with a hyphen. However, I did change the equal sign to an "is" based on
earlier comment from proofreader.

0G4.3: Footnote 7 could also apply to this instruction, as well as to
0G4.2 where it is linked. Can one use a footnote twice?[DJL]  You can,
but I don't think it fits here. 0G4.2 is about missing spaces; 0G4.3 is
about spaces that are not missing. We've only made those footnotes when
additional title access is considered mandatory, and providing
additional title access for variant or archaic spelling is not mandatory

0G8.2: Should there be a footnote about providing additional title
access if this occurs within the first five words and the marks of
contraction can be reproduced, similar to footnotes 4-10?[DJL]  Yes,
there should; this is a situation where it's mandatory.

Let me add my voice to those who already have expressed admiration and
much gratitude to the editors of DCRM(B). You've made an essential tool
clearer and even more useful. We are in your debt.[DJL]  Thanks! [When
can we collect ...?]
els

Eileen L. Smith
Rare Book Team, SML
Yale University Library
P.O. Box 208240,   New Haven, CT  06520-8240
Telephone: 203-432-8383 ; Fax: 203-432-7231
Email: e.smith at yale.edu