[DCRM-L] Appendix G

Mon Oct 9 18:28:22 MDT 2006

Thanks, Larry. More below, including some questions.
Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Chair, RBMS Bibliographic Standards Committee
http://www.folger.edu/bsc/index.html
Head of Cataloging, Folger Shakespeare Library
201 East Capitol St., S.E., Washington, D.C. 20003
djleslie at folger.edu || 202.675-0369 || http://www.folger.edu

	-----Original Message-----
	From: dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu
[mailto:dcrm-l-bounces at lib.byu.edu] On Behalf Of Laurence Creider
	Sent: 13 September 2006 12:34
	To: DCRM Revision Group List
	Subject: [DCRM-L] Appendix G

	This whole section is such a great improvement on the first
edition
	equivalents.  Thank you very much.

	Here are some comments that have not appeared in previous posts,
some
	going beyond your instructions:

	Perhaps the sources for the tables should be stated?  Should
there not be
	a reference to more extensive lists of the contractions in
G3?[DJL]  Yikes, a catch-22. There was at one time, but then we moved
the references to what had become a more general bibliography. Then we
changed the nature of the bibliography back to containing just what had
been cited in the text, which no longer contained the other Capelli. I
think it needs to be put back in Appendix G and in the reference list,
but let me check with the other editors.

	Sometimes the "early contractions" are abbreviations for whole
words such
	as those for Christus, scilicet, sed or both abbreviations for
whole words
	or contractions for portions of words (e.g., the form for quod.
Should
	the table be "Early contractions and abbreviations?" \[DJL] We
have carefully avoided using the word "abbreviations" in this context,
because to do so too easily misleads the innocent into thinking that
abbreviations in general should be expanded. Webster's Collegiate 11th
has this to say about "abbreviations": 2 : a shortened form of a written
word or phrase used in place of the whole <amt is an abbreviation for
amount>, and about "contractions": 2 : a shortening of a word, syllable,
or word group by omission of a sound or letter; also : a form produced
by such shortening. Although there is a distinction to be made, it isn't
clear to me that the definitions of these two words are mutually
exclusive, or that "contraction" is demonstrably the wrong word to use
for 'Christus,' &c.

	The abbreviation for es, ius, and us, is sometimes also used for
-et or
	-ed.[DJL]  That "highly versatile symbol" has been enormously
vexing. Do you know of any common examples of its representing et
besides 'habet?' Or any common examples of its representing ed?

	The note for the macron should read "often replaces several
letters."  I
	think its single most common use outside of the sacred names is
	indicate a nasal as in co[n]summatu[m].[DJL] Not sure I
understand your point. Are you saying that "often" should replace
"usually?" But isn't it the case the a macron over a consonant nearly
always replaces several letters?

	The contraction for "sed" looks very much like the early forms
for ss or
	sz. Perhaps the form of the abbreviation for [ed] could be
closer to a
	semicolon?[DJL] Yes, it does; the correct transcription would be
clear from the context. I'm not sure what you're suggesting here.

	G4, how about repeating the superscript 24 on the last line for
"vv
	representing single letter?" and adapting the note to cover the
conversion
	of lower to uppercase? [DJL]  Done. This is the way I've
reworded the footnote, which should be confirmed:
[DJL]
	This must be distinguished from VV or vv as a combination of a
vowel and a consonant as in the examples VVLT or vvlt (vult, "he wants")
and VVA or vva or vua (uva, "grape").

	Hope this is of some help.[DJL]  You bet!
	 	Larry

	Laurence S. Creider, Ph.D., M.S.L.S.
	Head, General Cataloging Unit
	New Mexico State University