[DCRM-L] relator terms as part of a name/title heading

Wed Nov 7 08:13:30 MST 2007

Thanks, Dan. Your response, in addition to a private message, makes me
think I haven't been clear enough. I'm not talking about putting an
added entry for a person on another record, but rather making an added
entry to a work. It might be a 773 linking entry for host items, or may
simply be a 700 related work name/title. Or even a 600 name/title
subject heading.

Perhaps another way of thinking about it is how would we create a
name/title authority record for a particular work for which we've
entered under an author with a relator term. When I think about it that
way, it seems obvious to me that the relator term, which in fact is not
part of the person's heading, should drop off. But imagine that our
opacs really worked properly and collocated works according to their
work headings (by which I mean the main entry plus title, or uniform
title main entry). This discrepancy between the way the person appeared
on the main work and how he appeared in a name/title added entry would
prevent appropriate collocation.

Deborah J. Leslie, M.A., M.L.S.
Head of Cataloging
Folger Shakespeare Library