[DCRM-L] RDA question

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Wed Aug 25 16:29:29 MDT 2010

I also wanted to give my opinion on Deborah's second question. RDA encourages making relationship links much more than AACR2 did so I expect authorized access points for works and expressions (a.k.a. "uniform titles") will indeed have more widespread use in order to clarify the relationship of the resource to the work/expression. At least I certainly hope so. Unfortunately recording the relationship between a resource and its work or expression is not identified as a core relationship in RDA, and so is not required, but there is so much emphasis in RDA on recording relationships between FRBR entities that I hope the momentum will swing the cataloging world in the direction of making these relationships explicit.

In our RDA version of DCRM, by the way, we would be perfectly within our bounds to make recording that relationship core (i.e. requiring it) for rare materials, if we wished. I hope that will be on the list of issues to consider.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
Head, Special Collections and Formats Catalog Dept.
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University
Provo, UT 84602
(801)422-5568