[DCRM-L] Sur l'imprime?

JOHN LANCASTER jjlancaster at me.com
Tue Feb 10 08:47:29 MST 2015

In my experience, it’s used either for concealment (of a piracy or a work that might get the printer into trouble); or legitimately, as an indication of authority (in which case the real imprint is given - as when an American edition claims to be based on the latest London edition).  In any case, the one thing certain is that the publication information following the phrase is not the information pertaining to the edition in hand, though it’s sometimes (as in this case) designed to look as if it were.

John Lancaster