[DCRM-L] transcribing from Gaelic type

Noah Sheola sheola at bc.edu
Thu Oct 25 13:08:50 MDT 2018

Hi all,
Are there any rare book catalogers out there who have much experience with
Gaelic type? Specifically, I'm wondering about the diacritic dot-above,
linition, and, if I've been doing it right. For example, suppose a book
printed in Gaelic type with the title Cuaiċín draoiḋeaċta. In modern
Latin type, this would today be rendered as Cuaichín draoidheachta (or so
I understand from my very, very limited knowledge of the Irish language).

Reasoning that the dot-above is analogous to the function of the umlaut in
German, as a cataloger, I am inclined to transcribe Cuaiċín draoiḋeaċta
in the 245, preserving the diacritics as I see them, and give Cuaichín
draoidheachta only in the 246. And yet, having now seen a number of
records, I get the impression that historically many cataloging agencies
have had a practice of silently regularizing spelling to the more modern
form, treating the dot-above as if it ought to be transcribed as h. Any
ideas?

Thank you,
Noah
(and happy early Halloween ... Cuaichín draoidheachta = Witchcraft.)
--
Noah Sheola
Special Collections Cataloging Librarian