[DCRM-L] Records for Extra-illustrated Copies

Erin Blake erin.blake.folger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 08:49:38 MDT 2019

At the Folger, we've historically done the same thing as the Beinecke,
except that instead of a 590 note in the bib record describing the extra
illustrations, we make a note in the 852$z of the holdings record. That way
the copy-specific information shows up next to the call number for that
particular copy (very important when you have thirteen or fourteen
different copies of the same edition of Shakespeare).

However, for heavily-extended copies I suspect we will move to the same
policy we have for promptbooks created from published texts: make a record
for the altered copy as a unique object, with production information
reflecting the time and place of the alterations, and a 787 "Related item"
note for the published version, with an introductory *$i *Altered copy of:

When we also have unaltered copies of the published text, we make a 590
note giving call numbers for the prompt copies so that a researcher who
wants to make sure they've seen every possible copy of the printed text of
whatever play it is will know that there are more to call up to the reading
room.

For extra-illustrated books, creating a separate record is especially
appropriate (in my opinion) when the extra-illustrated copy has its own
title page, with a statement of responsibility and production information
specific to that copy. The example I use for discussion of "Is this a new
work?" when teaching "History of Printed Book Illustration in the West" at
Rare Book School is University of Virginia Special Collections SF429 .G8 T7
1825. It's an extra-illustrated copy of a little book (17 cm high) from
1825 called "A Treatist on Greyhounds" that has been inlaid to 36 cm,
majorly extra-illustrated in the late 19th or early 20th century, and given
a big new title page calling it instead "A Treatise on Coursing,
Illustrated."

Erin.

Erin Blake, PhD  |  pronouns: she/her/hers  |  Senior Cataloger  |  Folger
Shakespeare Library  |  201 E. Capitol St. SE, Washington, DC, 20003  |
eblake at folger.edu  |  www.folger.edu