[DCRM-L] OCLC Connexion / WorldCat indexing of MARC 510 field

Robert Maxwell robert_maxwell at byu.edu
Fri Sep 4 09:35:31 MDT 2020

Yes, yes, yes!!

We use our 510s in a similar way to Francis (and have a 510 index set up in our local catalog). One of the points of the citations in the 510 field, in my opinion, is to replace need to physically mark in the print bibliographies whether or not the library has the book—my copy of Renouard’s Annales de l’imprimerie des Alde is filled with checkmarks and call numbers put in over decades to note which Aldines we had and which we didn’t, as an aid for collection development. Similarly for numerous other printers, etc., we attempt to collect comprehensively. I’m sure this is common practice in special collections libraries. Once we input all this into 510s and indexed the field we can tell at a glance which ones are missing and which ones we have. This is one huge benefit to having the field indexed.

Responding to Allison, why not allow both keyword and browsing? Browsing would facilitate finding records that need correcting to the new form. I also note that the use case above would be almost negated if only keyword were available—you can’t go through the bibliography systematically by keyword whereas you can if you can browse the index. I agree, however, that keyword is also necessary since the forms are not consistent within the OCLC database.

Bob

Robert L. Maxwell
6728 Harold B. Lee Library
Brigham Young University